AREA’S MULTIFAMILY HOUSING INDUSTRY
The area’s multifamily housing industry celebrated its achievements at the Tidewater Multifamily Housing Council’s Annual Awards of Excellence Celebration July 17 at the Virginia Beach Convention Center. More than 625 members and guests gathered for the event, which is now in its 30th year.
Merit Awards were presented to individuals for outstanding performance and Awards of Excellence were given to outstanding apartment communities in South Hampton Roads, competing in categories based on when they were completed. Two new awards were also presented this year: the Residents’ Choice Award for the community garnering the most votes in an online competition and the Diamond Award for the community with a perfect score from the judges.
Nine individuals were honored at the banquet for their performance in the multifamily housing industry this past year. They include:
· Lifetime Achievement Award
Richard Waitzer, Signature Management Corp.
· Multifamily Executive of the Year
Barry Tomlin, The Breeden Company
· Regional Property Manager of the Year Award
Lana Wilder, The Lawson Cos.
· Property Manager of the Year Award
Jamie Kane, The Breeden Company
· Leasing Consultant of the Year
Angela Nelms, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
- Maintenance Supervisor of the Year Award
Scott Crumbly, Kotarides Property Management
- Maintenance Employee of the Year Award
The Breeden Company
- Above and Beyond Award
Alexandra Hinman, Ripley Heatwole Co. Inc.
- Associate of the Year
Katie Dickinson, First Atlantic Restoration Inc.
- Residents’ Choice Award (given to the community garnering the most votes in an online competition.)
Belmont at Freemason, Kotarides Property Management
AWARDS OF EXCELLENCE
· Subsidized communities
Gold: The Rivers, The Lawson Cos.
Silver: Braywood Manor, W.H.H. Trice & Company
Bronze: Park Terrace, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
· Senior communities completed between 1975 and 1999
Gold: Stonebridge Manor, Frye Properties Inc.
Silver: John Knox Towers, The Lawson Cos.
Bronze: Holland House, Ripley Heatwole Co. Inc.
· Senior communities completed between 2000 and 2009
Gold: Wesleyan Place, Ripley Heatwole Co. Inc.
Silver: The Cottages at Great Bridge, Ripley Heatwole Co. Inc.
Bronze: Brenneman Lakes, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
· Communities completed between 1940 and 1949
Gold: Archer’s Green, Signature Management Corp.
Silver: Mariner’s Watch, Frye Properties Inc.
Bronze: Sterling Oaks, Frye Properties Inc.
· Communities completed between 1960 and 1969
Gold: TIE -- Pinewood Gardens, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.; and
Park Towne, S.L. Nusbaum Realty
Silver: University Gardens & Terrace, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
Bronze: Cambridge Manor, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
· Communities completed between 1970 and 1979
Gold: Weblin Place, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
Silver: Kingsbridge, The Lawson Cos.
Bronze: Chartwell, The Lawson Cos.
· Communities completed between 1980 and 1989
Gold: TIE -- Ashbrook, The Breeden Company; and
Columbus Station, The Dragas Cos.
Silver: TIE -- Ghent Village, The Lawson Cos.; and
Woodbriar, The Breeden Company
Bronze: Shoreline, Clark Whitehill Enterprises
· Communities completed between 1990 and 1999
Gold: Campostella Commons II, The Lawson Cos.
Silver: Taylor Pointe, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
Bronze: Woodbridge, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
· Communities completed between 2000 and 2009
Gold: Belmont at Greenbrier, Kotarides Property Management
Silver: Midtown at Town Center, Ripley Heatwole Co.
Bronze: Brenneman Farm, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
· Communities completed as of 2010 and later
Gold: Cambria at Cornerstone, The Breeden Company
Silver: Belmont at Freemason, Kotarides Property Management
Bronze: Monticello Station, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
· Diamond Award of Excellence (receiving a perfect score from the judges)
Park Towne, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
Pinewood Gardens, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
The banquet also honored the graduates of TMHC’s Registered in Apartment Management (RAM) program. The graduates completed a 40-hour basic RAM training program in on-site management, the first step to acquiring the RAM designation, a Department of Housing and Urban Development-approved certification program.
The graduates include:
· Boyd Homes: Candi Bryars
· Clark Whitehill Enterprises: Kathy Boswell, Stephanie Bryant, Lauren Rieke
· The Lawson Companies: Candace Sparrow, Jake Yorks Jr.
· S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.: Shannon Heederik, Mary Nelson Notaro, Rosa Parks, Heather Pinkerton, Seth Norman
· Ripley Heatwole Co. Inc.: Lauren Keneagy, Edward Salyers
· United Property Associates: Wendy Lund, Denise Robinson-Jones
· W.H.H. Trice & Co.: Larrine Brown
· Wirth Development: Jacqueline Chavez
# # #